Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Still J Crew-ed out


Although more than half of my wardrobe had to be put away, it's been great figuring out which existing items still work for pregnancy (and makes me suspicious that I've been looking pregnant for the past few years).  This J.Crew dress with a higher waistline works perfectly--it's super comfortable and still work appropriate.

So about pregnancy and body image...I guess I assumed that the weight you gain is directly correlated to how much you eat and what you eat.  Well I've learned that even if you're eating relatively well and staying active, your body is still going to put the weight on where it wants to (your hips, your face, your arms) and that's that.  So formal apologies to all those celebrities I've judged in the past (Jessica Simpson, Kim Kardashian--why is it so much easier to criticize celebrities?) and here's hoping I can be a little kinder to myself as well.  I've always admired my friends and their pregnancy bodies--you're growing a baby, of course you're going to put on some weight--it all makes sense.  But it does feel differently when all these changes happen to you, at a pretty rapid rate, when it seems like you're surrounded by media images of Princess Catherine and Heidi Klum who just have twiggy limbs and a tiny baby bump.  Don't even get me started on the mommy bloggers who are super slim, hanging out in their bikinis before AND after birth. 

I have to remind myself that while it's totally ok to be frustrated about body image and wanting to look fashionable and my best (ok ok at least presentable most days), it's really not terribly interesting to take up a lot of time thinking or worrying about it.  In the grand scheme of things, fashion is a fun part of life, until it gets in the way of more important things (like sleep, the health of the baby, family, friends, my puppies, where my next brownie is coming from, etc.)


Outfit details:
Dress: J.Crew
Necklace: Giles and Brother
Shoes: No.6

4 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the best dressed moms I've seen, and you're super radiant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks j! If it weren't for work I'd be in pjs all day!

      Delete
  2. I love this post and can definitely relate! Now post partum, old things that do still fit don't get worn because they're not nursing friendly. You do look amazing though and you're right to focus more on those other important things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M--I love looking at pictures of your little one--she is such a doll!!

      Delete