Wednesday, January 25, 2012

DIY: nail polish + rhinestone jewelry


Tom Binns was my first exposure to rhinestones and neon, and soon after, lots of bloggers went on a DIY spree and created their own amazing low cost versions.  While the idea of painting over perfectly good vintage jewelry pains me, this is a great idea for jewelry that is in less than stellar condition (darkened rhinestones for example) or in colors that you might otherwise not wear.  Because isn't that really what it's all about?  To be able to wear and enjoy items, not just let it sit untouched.  In the above picture, I took a rhinestone bracelet and painted it alternating navy and hot pink, then finished with a coat of clear gloss.


This bracelet went from 1990's pink ice rhinestones to a more current hot pink.


This was a fun and simple project (watch out for paint fumes) and I really like the idea of breathing new life into jewelry that might otherwise be forgotten or saved in hopes of a special occasion.  Every day is an occasion!

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Have you seen the new Ann Taylor jewelry? It is neon and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! The Ann Taylor ones are so fun. I've still got a necklace in the works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun! I want to do it but am gun shy cause even though I never wear my vintage costume pieces I've had them since I was a little girl. I need to find some cheapees on ebay.

    ReplyDelete